It’s hard to believe it’s been a month since One Room Challenge wrapped up. I’m settled in my space, narrowing down my favorite corners, and even entertaining some friends on a whim! Being that I have a combined living room, dining room, and workspace, having stylish furniture was a must. It was so exciting to partner with Article to make my dream a reality.
How to Spruce Up a Small Space
I chose many pieces from their website that set the tone for the entire design of my space. Given my latest experience with One Room Challenge, I wanted to share a few of my tips for decorating an open/combined space. Now, I’m not an interior designer, so I can only ride ORC’s coattails a little bit longer:
- When you’re decorating, balance becomes the ultimate priority. You can’t have too many competing pieces of furniture or styles, or your room will feel small and maybe even give you a headache. Yeah, I said it! 🙂 I believe that having one statement piece of furniture is key. Choosing the Sven sectional sofa in Pacific Blue was what did it for me.
- Have fun with textures, in furniture and textiles. My coffee table is marble with wooden legs, and my side table is a lightweight metal. The legs of the table are the same finish as my dining table and while the coffee + side tables don’t match, they coordinate nicely. None of the pillows on my couch technically match, but that’s the beauty of it. They each pick up tones from other items in my home.
- Fill empty spaces with plants or flowers. I can honestly say that all of the plants in these photos are still alive. They aren’t only pretty, but plants increase the oxygen levels in your home and studies have shown that having plants in your space can improve your mood and focus. Yes, please!
- Functional furniture and baskets are a must you have a small space. Making sure everything has a place is the key to small apartment living and it will help you keep your space organized. Plus, a basket is so much more attractive than that pile of stuff in the corner. #throwitinabasket
- Get creative with lighting. I didn’t plan to add a sconce to my gallery wall, but it ended up being the perfect place for a reading lamp while I’m lounging on the chaise of my Sven sofa. Consider adding yours on a wall or corner that could benefit from a little extra light.
If you’re not familiar with Article, Article is an original modern furniture brand that is direct-to-consumer. There are no retail locations or showrooms, and the founders + company pride themselves on simplicity and efficiency. Article works with some of the world’s best designers and manufacturers to bring a curated selection of beautiful furniture to thousands of happy customers across the country and I’m proud to be one of them. My living room boasts three pieces from the brand: the Mara Coffee Table, the Equa Side Table, and the Sven Left Sectional.
That Sofa Tho…
So, there is definitely a pattern with me: I love a blue couch! In my old studio apartment, I had a blue velvet settee, and in my new space, I’m so happy to have the Sven in velvet!
Sven, which is Article’s most popular sofa, is a modern take on a mid-century classic style and comes in over 60 different varieties. It features crisp lines, a tufted bench seat, and three luxuriously stuffed back cushions. I was pleasantly surprised to receive two matching round bolsters for the couch as well.
I will say if I didn’t opt for velvet, I would’ve chosen the leather. 😉 It’s just too good.
Check Out Article for Your Furniture Needs
My pieces from Article laid the perfect foundation for my new home. The quality and craftsmanship of Article’s furniture will make you think their pieces should cost an arm and a leg, but they don’t. They have pieces for every budget and for every room of your home. Being honest, I do not shop online a lot because I worry about what I’m going to get on the receiving end, but I didn’t have to worry about that with Article. Everything exceeded my expectations once it was out of the box and I could’ve cried when the couch was just the “blue” I thought it was on screen.
Article offers free ground shipping on orders over $999, and if your order isn’t that large, Article offers a flat shipping fee of $49 (or $19 for small shipments). Want the full upgrade? Opt for white glove delivery like I did. The delivery crew unboxed and assembled my furniture, and the best part was, I wasn’t stuck with the boxes afterward. It was well worth it!
I’ll say the likelihood of having buyers remorse when you shop with Article is slim to none, but if you do feel like maybe that blue couch wasn’t the best idea, or you’d like to change the finish of your end table once your room is put together, Article offers a 30-day satisfaction guarantee so you can try out your new furniture in your home. If you’re not completely happy, they’ll pick up the furniture and provide a refund, minus the delivery and pickup charges. You really can’t lose in this situation.
Check out the latest and greatest at article.com, and be sure to follow them on Instagram, too.
Photos by Christie Spencer Photography
Disclaimer: This post is in collaboration with Article. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that support the blog.